Tuesday, October 28, 2008

My Monkey Man


This blog is dedicated to my boyfriend Pat. He is what most people would describe a geek/dork/nerd. Whatever you would like to "label" him as, I am glad to call him mine. We met as most do nowadays on the internet. On a forum dedicated to an author we both love. I found my way there via her books and ended up in the chat room. There I met many now great friends and him. After some very long and very intimate MSN conversations the attraction grew and i found myself flying here to Adelaide just over one month after meeting him.



It wasn't scary or nervous it felt, well, right. We decided not to let things get complicated and would still see other people as at the time a long distance relationship didn't seem to be the best thing especially as I had a daughter. I myself found that I stopped looking for guys to hook up with, Pat on the other hand had a whole harem after him, and i guess you could say I got a tad jealous but tried not to show it. He of course new, because I really am not that good at hiding emotions. I wear it on the sleeve I suppose.


Needless to say our nightly few hour long conversations made feelings grow stronger and after a fairly bad experience on his part he decided that the only person he wanted in his life at that time was me. I flew over on New Years and that is when we decided that we would be exclusively dating. That date becoming our anniversary.





We tried to see each other as much as possible, myself flying over here as I had more freedom with weekends off from work and more flexible free money as I was living at home. As our birthday's are only 5 days apart we spent a wonderful 2 weeks together even if the last few days were in Melbourne with my mothers lovely "subtle" hints that she didn't like him. We spent a great day at the Melbourne zoo with Vanessa who tuckered out towards the end.

In October of 2007 we decided to do a month long trial of living together. So I packed up my and Vanessa's things, her bed on the roof-racks, and we headed across country to good ol' SA. I must say it was the best 4 weeks of my life up till then. It felt right and everything fell into place. We didn't loose the "honeymoon" feeling and Vanessa absolutely adored him. Now she had met him before so I knew it wouldnt be a problem as she always asks to speak to him on the phone.

That New Years we celebrated one year of being together. I gave him a ring and he gave me some gorgeous earrings with matching necklace. We went out for dinner then met up with a few friends to celebrate the New Year together. It was such a great night and one I will always remember.


A few weeks later we were off on our first holiday together. We went to Queensland and stayed at a friends place. We did the touristy thing, I got mega burnt at Wet and Wild and WB movie world. It was so great to be away from work and family and just be ourselves. And for all those Python fans out there we found Monty Python Holy Ale. I have never seen Pat more relaxed than that holiday. And I hope to see him that relaxed in the near future once he gets a job in the field he studied for the last 4 years and $30,000 later for a piece of paper. And which I am so proud of him achieving.


This year has seen our worst ups and downs but we have made it through. And now 22 months into our relationship we are now living together. We will be signing a lease to a 3 bedroom house on Thursday afternoon and while I am in Melbourne for the long weekend (Melbourne Cup) as I have to take Vanessa over to see her dad, he and a few of our friends will be moving all our stuff from his tiny flat to our house. And the following weekend my parents will be bringing the rest of my and Vanessa's stuff across from Melbourne.

So begins our life together and I hope it continues on in the way it has so far. And if it ceases I will always treasure the time I've had with him as it has taught me a lot about myself and that there truly are pure hearted souls in this world.

My Life Laid Out

4 comments:

Monnie said...

My boyfriend moved to Adelaide as well but in a different situation - he has no family here, and came with just a suitcase and what his Mum could post to him. Of course that was before I knew him - but when we moved in together he brought the little he had to be with me so it's kind of similar :)

You two make a great couple and seem to care about each other a lot :D I'm awesomely happy you'll be living near me too! xxxx

Princess Kan said...

eeeewwww soppy photo :P
yeah, coz I can talk.
Have to say ... I'm soooo glad you decided to move here instead of the other way around.
A) I'd miss Pat too much
B) Adelaide rocks more than Melbourne and Melbourne has a funny smell
C) You'd still be with your mother *shudders*
but most importantly D) YOU wouldn't be with me :)

Jess said...

LOL don't worry chicky I don't think I'll move back to melbourne anytime soon... I'm much happier here and have too many bad bad memories in melb, all over the state, so i can't get away from them over there lol

Plus I've always been drawn here... I would have eventually come here whether I was with Pat or not :P

Mal Kiely [Lancelots Pram] said...

That's very kute! :D