Thursday, March 12, 2009

Thoughts after a session

**These are the thoughts that go through my head after a session with my psychologist. They may be a bit jumbled and everywhere**


I am not a bad mother. In the four and a half years of my daughters life I have always thought that of myself. It is only recently that I have come to realize that I am a good mum. You wouldn't know it but saying that is an extremely hard thing for me to do. I am not good with compliments. I don't think very highly of myself and when someone does compliment me I wonder what it is they really want. They are saying something good about me because they want something from me. I have to stop thinking this way and start telling myself everything good about me. So in the next three weeks I will be writing a list of all the good points of me. "Easy" you say. Not very after years of constant bullying, being put down by my family and bad relationships.

I will attempt to stop fighting my mother when I don't get the emotional support I need from her. I won't get it as she is not built that way. She will be there supporting me when I am achieving something or supporting myself financially but when things tack a downward turn she doesn't know how to be there to comfort me. I need to find a way to tell her what I'm doing with my life, good or bad, without her telling me to do it differently or something completely different or for her to want to "fix" it. To not let what she says about me, or the people I care about, get to me. At the moment I can't talk to her about anything to do with jobs, money or Vanessa's progress without her finding everything negative in the situation, telling me how to go about it all and what I really should be doing.

I hate my mum making me the reason her and my dad fight most of the time. I am a very emotionally run person so I crave emotional support above any other. My dad can give me the emotional support I need. He will listen when I need to vent, he will tell me its ok when things go wrong. My mum can't do that. I'm close with my dad and mum is very jealous of that. Dad worries about me and vents to mum. When I visit mum brings it up so I explain whats been going on with me and dad understands, but because he doesn't say anything mum has a go at him for sitting back and letting her be the bad guy but all the while she continues on at me about doing everything wrong.

I am slowly finding the triggers that set of my bad thought patterns. Every time I find one I take a breathe and focus on what I am doing instead of the instant thought that comes into my head which helps me stay focused on the situation and not drift off into a downward spiral of self bullying. When I am spending time with Vanessa I have a million and one thoughts going on about what else I need to do, what I could be doing instead, but I try and keep my focus on what I'm doing with Vanessa and soon those thoughts stop and I enjoy the time with Vanessa more. I'm not saying I don't enjoy it otherwise, I do, I just put so much pressure on myself to achieve so much each day that I know I won't get through it all so I call myself a failure if I don't do it so each thing is always on my mind no matter what I'm doing it stops me from enjoying my time with Vanessa to the fullest.

Starting The positive about me list (everything good about me and the good things I do):

I read to Vanessa nearly every night
I have nice eyes
I have a lot of love to give
It doesn't take me long to learn to play any instrument
I love to dance
I try to make sure I get Vanessa's favourite foods when I go shopping
I make sure Pat has a decent meal every day
I will go out of my way to help a friend

(That list is hard for me to do)

My Life Laid Out

5 comments:

Murfomurf said...

Wow- you're going great guns- the sessions are obviously doing you good. I can understand the difficulties you have always had with your mum- I never had a bond with my mum- she was always anxious, but never caring. I learnt to accept that we were not a good match, but even after her death I still have "disliking" thoughts about her but don't dwell on it any more. It is good that you can state that your mum is just unable to give you what you need. Many of our Plurk friends have not realised that about their mums! As for caring for Vanessa- it seems obvious to me that you love her dearly. She came into your life a bit early for your coping skills, eh?! You are still at a stage where you need tender care yourself, yet you must give it to Vanessa with the other hand. Be proud that you give her all the basics she needs- especially love, hugs, time and good meals. If you already have the habit of reading with her, that's great- often parents leave this alone after the picture book stage and expect schools to finish the job. Anyway, I reckon the psych sessions will be a really good boost for you, getting your head into line so you can live your life the way you want. Yayy!! Jess!!

Mal Kiely [Lancelots Pram] said...

Good on you, be proud of yourself for taking some positive steps in your life. Seriously!!!

Charlie said...

can't mum's be a pain in the butt - and yet here we are as one... from what i've seen you're going great guns with vanessa.

you forgot how infectiously happy you can be on your good list :) but i'm not critising, merely helping (i hope) LOL take care babes - keep it up - all good. xc

Jess said...

CHARLIE YOUR NOT ALLOWED TO HELP!!! LOL But thanks xD

Mal Kiely [Lancelots Pram] said...

lol. Hope the new job goes well for you, ma'am :)